photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, August 16, 2010

Kevin Sharkey’s Fabulous Apartment

{Sharkey poses in front of a pair of Franz Kline-style paintings in his newly-completed living room. How gorgeous is that huge arrangement of tulips?}

This weekend, I devoured at least ten different September issues. One of my favorite interior design spreads, was that of Kevin Sharkey’s newly unveiled apartment. Sharkey is the executive editorial director of decorating for Martha Stewart Living, so naturally one would expect his place to be fabulous…and it is!

{Sharkey selected a muted, neutral palette for the apartment in order to make the extraordinary view the main focus.}

{Sharkey opted for a pair of glamorous chandeliers and refinished an old oak table for the dining room.}

{Sharkey has hung these beautiful Chinese paper panels in every apartment he’s ever lived in. Martha inspired him to start his own collections of sterling serving pieces along with some beautiful orange lacquerware from Kyoto, Japan.}

{Lovely Details}

{They really pulled out all the stops for voluminous floral arrangements for this spread. First, the lush tulip arrangement and now this gorgeous mix of peonies!}

{Martha’s sweet dogs made themselves at home in front of Sharkey’s television.}

{I love that the apartment is at once glamorous and subdued. Sharkey’s closet is perfectly polished and organized, but the huge hunk of pyrite adds an unexpected touch of glam.}

{Sharkey wanted very low, Japanese-inspired furniture in his bedroom. I wouldn’t have gone that route myself, but I do love the huge abstract painting.}

{Sharkey chose extra dark furnishings for his bedroom so that they would not blend in with the walls and flooring. He purchased this oak desk and chair ages ago and painted them in a ceruse finish for his new apartment. Check out the view!}

{I would have loved to have seen more of his kitchen and from this image alone, I am sure it is lovely. It has all of the classic elements!}

 

Image Credit: Paul Costello for Martha Stewart Living

13 comments:

Mango Gal said...

That giant arrangement of tulips made my jaw drop...so gorgeous. On another note, in my next life I want to come back as Martha Stewart's dog. Their life seems way too exciting for a dog.

Rachael said...

I love the different tones of beige used here....it made beige the new white!

xoxo

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

Mona Thompson said...

Agreed. Fabulous!

Laura Trevey said...

I am in love with all the fabulous abstracts!!

David Toms said...

There are so many things here that I love, especially the lighting above the dining table, the oversized plant and that closet!

the adventures of a modern housewife said...

Love that he used all the muted, neutral tones to look relaxing and not boring - very tricky and beautifully done

Debra said...

Oh my that apartment is beautiful. I love your blog I just found it and I will be back to visit quite often and to comment.

Samantha Hutchinson said...

perfection. I would be a happy woman in that apt! Love the chandeliers over the dining table.

Balsamo Antiques and Interior Design said...

great art
love the mix
great sense of style

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

Now this is the way pillows should look!

Perfection...

Design Actually said...

His apartment is impeccable, of course! I don't love the bedroom, but the rest of the house makes up for it and that closet is amazing!

Hello Lover... said...

All the florals they used here are absolutely stunning! I think my favorite has to be the living space with the bright colored painting and of course that kitchen!

dining table said...

I love all the flowers in the place. It made the place so nice and very refreshing.