photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

10 Things I Can’t Live Without: My Little Happy Place

My Little Happy Place
Alison Giese writes the lovely blog, My Little Happy Place, in which she recounts her adventures in everything from decorating, to living abroad, to being a mother to her sweet little girls. Alison and her husband are native Houstonians who moved to Brazil two years ago. While adjusting to life as an ex-pat, Alison discovered design blogs which sparked both a new passion and career for her. The rest as they say, ladies and gents, is history!
 
 
10. Burt's Bees Lip Balm - If I were stranded on an island, and could have only one cosmetic product, it'd be nearly impossible to chose between my Burt's Bees, and the undoubtedly necessary sunscreen. I have about four spare tubes of this stuff on hand at any given time. Let's just say, for me, it's the Bee's Knees! ;)
9. My Camera - I have so much to learn about taking amazing photos, but lucky for me, my fab camera does a lot of the dirty work.
8. Design Inspiration: Blogs, Magazines, flickr, etc - I sometimes wonder what I did before I knew about design blogs. It was such an exciting moment for me, the first time I read post after great post from that first blog. It's not just about beautiful images and inspiring projects - it's about connecting with people over a shared passion. Viva la blogs!
7. Fresh Fruit - I am seriously addicted to the wonderful variety of fresh fruit down here in Brazil. It's a way of life for us, and I love it!
6. Self-Deprecating Humor - The ability to laugh at yourself, not take yourself, and your flaws too seriously is as much a survival tool as a Swiss army knife, in my book!
5. Classic Rock - What can I say? I'm a child of the 70s. I grew up with what my husband calls "Hippie Rock": Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, America, James Taylor and Jimmy Buffett. This is still the music I turn to when I need a mood lift.
4. College Football - This time of the year is extra special - the eve of football season. I'm a University of Texas alum, and nothing connotes the beginning of Fall for me like the first game of the year. Hook 'm Horns!
3. Good Coffee - There's not much better than a great cup of coffee. It doesn't necessarily need to have an exotic pedigree (I've had some of the best cups at old school diners). When it's good, it's divine, when it's bad, I'm sad!
2. Expanding my world - Since we've been married, Ben and I have seen afar places like Malta, Italy and France to gorgeous places close to home. Now that we live in Brazil, and constantly meet people from all over the world, my wanderlust has grown. I hope I never lose the desire to expand my world, and that of our children.
Travels
1. The Smiles in my Home - It really goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. These three beings are truly THE thing my world could not be without.
DSC_0136
Paloma, thank you so much for letting me share a peek into what makes my little place happy!

16 comments:

Emily A. Clark said...

Love Alison's blog and reading more about her. What a beautiful family!

Hello Lover... said...

I love a woman who loves football! This blog is new to me but I'll definitely be checking it out - gorgeous family!

Ariane said...

What a fun list! Will definitely be checking out her blog.

xo.

Laura Trevey said...

We might have to meet! I am with you on so many of these... I use my Burts Bees lip balm daily, love good coffee and my camera and crave fresh fruit!!

xoxo Laura

Erika Ward said...

This post sounds like we could be besties watching college football! Headed over to her blog now. Thanks for the introduction!

bluehydrangea said...

Alison, great list! And that picture of your family is too dang cute!!! xo Sissy

Melanie's Randomness said...

What a wonderful post! I love the last pic of your family. It's definitely happiness! Classic Rock rules too! =)

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I loved reading and getting to know a bit more Alison!

Melissa Blake said...

Lovely post!!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Alison is a person full of life, & love. A beautiful person inside & out. Her blog is a joy to read. Always fun to read what makes fellow bloggers tick. Great series Paloma!

Hoping your week is off to a great start? x

ashlina {the decorista} said...

HOOK EM HORNS!!!!!! love love love! xoxo

Stephanie Sabbe said...

Alison! Love your list. So glad to see that someone else needs college football. As fall approaches I miss football Saturdays! They are not quite the same in Boston

Mary said...

Smiles at home are the best!! Great list!

Rachael said...

Loved this entry! I'm going to check her blog out right now!

xoxo

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

Anna @ IHOD said...

Yay! Happy to see Alison feature here.
Couldn't agree with you more on some of these.
Coffee, college football, and smiles from home!!
cheers girls!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful family!