photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Moroccan Moment

image

{Image Credit: JuBella}

It seems like Moroccan style has been having a major moment in the spotlight lately. From dominating the runways a few seasons ago to being a hugely popular inspiration for home interiors, Moroccan style doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. It’s even making an appearance in the Sex and the City sequel!

image

{Carrie can make anything look chic! Her outfit totally has a vintage Halston vibe.}

image

{SATC images courtesy of Warner Brothers}

image

{Image Credit: National Geographic}

Perhaps the appeal stems from the fact that Morocco is a place of great beauty and mystery. Everything that comes from there is considered exotic and novel to most of us. It is a place filled with color and inspiring architecture.

image {Source Unknown}

image

{Spice Market}

image

{Vibrant Colors Fill a Shoe Vendor’s Booth at a Riad}

image

{Image via i suwanee}

Whether you prefer the tranquility of white-washed buildings… image

{Image via Oliveaux}

or you prefer intricate architecture and bold colors and patterns…

image

{La Mamounia Hotel}

…gorgeous buildings abound!

 

imageThe glamourous and tony La Mamounia hotel just celebrated its grand re-opening last year which celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, Salma Hayek, Orlando Bloom, and Miranda Kerr attended. 

image {La Mamounia}

image

{How gorgeous does Gwyneth look?}

Gwyneth Paltrow was also present at the reopening event and recently dedicated an issue of her GOOP newsletter to Marakkesh.

There are many ways to incorporate a Moroccan influence into your life. There are many touches that you use to add a Moroccan influence to your home. Moroccan lanterns, vintage brass coffee/ smoking tables, antique tea services, and lavish textiles are a great place to start.

image{Image Credit: Alberto Pinto}

image 

{Image Credit: Katie Sellers}

image

image

{Image Credit: Vogue Living Australia}

 

Or if you prefer, you can always take your style cues from the runway…

morocco1

{Aquilano Rimondi & Etro}

morocco2

{Ralph Lauren & Max Azria}

morocco3

{Reem Acra & Gucci}

morocco4{Ungaro & Chloé}

22 comments:

katiedid said...

WOw! Beautiful post Paloma. So many wonderful images. Morocco is on my vacation top ten bucket list.

Unknown said...

My eyes kept getting wider and wider as I scrolled down this post. The images are incredible, serious visual eye candy. I'm dying to take a closer look when I get back from class!

caitlin wilson said...

I've been have a Moroccan moment too! I live in Dubai and I find amazing Moroccan decor all the time, you can see some of it in my home tour on my design blog caitlinwilsondesign.blogspot.com! loved this post.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Great post! I love Moroccan fabrics and architecture. THe Gucci and Reen Acra looks are stunning. Can't wait to see the new SATC movie!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

beautiful collection. i absolutely love moroccan style! especially in the home.

makes me want to travel.

xoxo

Robyn Thompson said...

i love these images!

while living in europe, all of our european friends had often visited morocco as it was so close, yet so distinct - since then, morocco is #1 on my list of upcoming travels!

for a little taste of morocco in our tiny apartment on the pacific ocean, i brew green tea with lots of fresh mint leaves and raw sugar. yum!

Livi said...

i have never been to morocco but have always wanted to go. i have been to tunisia though and it has a lot of the same charm. my family room rug is from a rug shop in kairouan and it is beautiful!

kate said...

Your blog ROCKS! What a great discovery! I adore travel!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

great post! I like a touch of Morocco in every home. Just a table or lantern really adds so much to a space. Would love to travel there someday too...

Marija said...

Great post but OMG that dress on Gwenyth. Why don't I own that dress? Aside from the reasons I don't own ANY of the dresses I see on the starlets. But this one is exceptional. Great image! Marija

Anonymous said...

Why don't you ever give credit to the source of your inspiration? Harper's Bazaar devoted the March issue to Marrakech and used that SATC photo.

Unknown said...

Anon, I think you're stretching it quite a bit! I credited all of my sources and always credit images in every post to the best of my knowledge. I did not read the March issue of Bazaar, so how would I have known that? Let me guess, I lifted this entire post out of your head, right?

Your slip is showing, H! Please stop wasting your energy and do something positive for a change.

Averill said...

I love all of the colors here, especially the cobalt blues.

(And I can't wait for SATC 2!)

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Gorgeous and fun post!!!

xo,
cristin

Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

Love all the vibrant colors! Plus, you just got me extra excited for SATC2!

Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

I think this might be one of my fave posts you have done...I LOVE moroccan style, it is just so joyful and exuberant. The colors! The architectural details. And I love the inspired fashion...from a far though...the last thing a girl of my stature needs is flimsy drapey fabrics...But darn does SJP look good in it!

Living It At Home said...

These are beautiful images. Very spicey!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I love everything Moroccan when it comes to design.

Molly said...

What a great post! My bedroom while I was in high school was Moroccan inspired; orange walls with a pink accent wall, mixed fabrics, gold detailing. Makes me want to change my navy blue walls...

Simple Amusements said...

Hey Paloma - I've been following your blog for the past few months. I always enjoy checking it out, especially today. I am doing a Moroccan look in my room right now! Great inspiration to take home!

Anonymous said...

If you're ever in the Los Angeles area, you should check out the Figueroa Hotel. It is entirely dedicated to the Moroccan style.

http://www.figueroahotel.com/

Happy weekend.

Walk The Medina said...

Moroccan style is so magical in interior home design!!! Thanks for sharing those beautiful inspiring pictures!