photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

10 Things I Can’t Live Without: Averill of Odi et Amo

Odi et Amo 
In the past year, Odi et Amo has quickly become a daily read and one of my favorite blogs. It is written by my fellow Houstonian, Averill, an attorney with a killer sense of style. She has a very keen eye for design and frequently shares her inspiration and personal projects with her readers. Something tells me Averill’s list will be sensible with a flair for fabulous details!
"Wind Mill" by Hannah Marie Photo
1. Electricity. At the risk of taking this assignment a bit too literally, I had to include electricity in this list. Besides, as in-house counsel for a major power company, it's also what pays my bills.

2. Olivia, my two-year old miniature dachshund.

3. Cute flats. I've never been particularly good at walking in heels, but fortunately there are a ton of adorable flats available now for when I need to be on my feet all day or when I don't need to be 6'4" (I'm six feet in flat feet). Right now, I'm lusting after this adorable striped pair from Pretty Ballerinas.

4. London. Samuel Johnson said that "when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life" and I can't help but agree. Dave and I are planning another trip to London this coming May and I can't wait.

5. Bold, geometric patterns. From trellis prints to zig zags, from David Hicks to Tory Burch, I adore bold, geometric patterns on everything from draperies and pillows to tunics and scarves.

6. Books. And comfortable chair in which to read them. Right now I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire, the follow-up to Stieg Larsson's bestselling The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and it's been tough to put down.

7. Bubble baths. Another of my favorite spots for reading and relaxing. Nothing beats a bubble bath after a hard day (or a hard day's night). My all-time favorite bath product is Fresh's Sake Bath. It's like bliss in a bottle.

8. Color. Those of you who read my blog are well aware of my ongoing love affair with bold, rich colors, especially on walls. I love how a simple coat of paint can elevate an entire room into the extraordinary. My own home currently boasts a navy dining room, aubergine study and a deep teal "man room" and I'm still on the look out for how I can bring even more color into the house!
Sandy Cay French Blue from iomoi ($68/set of 20)
9. Personal stationery. Maybe it's because I'm Southern, but I do love me some monograms. Personal stationery is one of those little luxuries I wouldn't want to do without (and it also makes a wonderful gift!). Right now, my favorite sources are iomoi and Dabney Lee at Home.

10. Chinoiserie. My very stylish grandmother was a huge fan of Chinese art and antiques and she passed her love of Chinoiserie on to me. Just about every room in my house has some Chinoiserie touches and I love the sense of history and the sophistication that they give to my new home and otherwise fairly contemporary style.

13 comments:

a lovely being said...

personal stationary is one of the things I can't live without, either. there is no substitute for a sweet, hand-written note!

Unknown said...

This is such a great list, Averill! Thank you so much for participating in the series. I couldn't agree with you more on London. That is such a great quote! Fabian and I definitely fell in love with it in September. I also have an affinity for beautiful stationery. There is no substitute for a handwritten note.

Jamie said...

I love this blog and Averill's. I keep coming back to both since I'm also a Houstonian. It's been exciting to watch Averill's blog grow since she first started it. Way to go!

Averill said...

Thanks Paloma for inviting me to participate in this series! It was great fun.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

All of you Houston bloggers make me miss home (I grew up in Tanglewood but haven't lived there since high school). Great list, I too love a monogram and personal stationary. Actually, love the whole list.

Unknown said...

loving her ten things and definitely going to check out her blog! thanks for sharing.

Kammy Kenman said...

loved everything on the list! thanks for sharing...I'll check out her blog next....
Kammy

pixelimpress said...

averill's blog is my new favorite. the girl's got style. pam

the adventures of a modern housewife said...

I love the green wall! heading over to check out averill's blog

Sogni e Sorrisi said...

What a great list and I love Averill's blog as well. I agree with so many -- electricity, books and flats among them!!

Chacoy said...

in may, leave room in your suitcase for lil' ole me?

That Girl in Pearls said...

I didn't realize this was a Houstonian blog!! What icing. Kingwood bred College Station bound. Hopefully back to Houston soon...

I LOVE the green room... although I don't see myself having the guts to try such ferocious color anytime soon. It all just seems to blend together so effortlessly.

http://thatgirlinpearls.blogspot.com/

TTI said...

I knew Averill was a kindred spirit, but after reading her words about London I felt even more in sync with her! London is my absolute favorite place on earth. I wonder if Averill has ever read London, by Edward Rutherford? An excellent read for any Anglophile. Sarum, the Novel of England, is also excellent!